Friday, June 18, 2010

Corn.

Day 4- Destination: Ft. Riley, Kansas (700 miles, 13 hours)

As previously stated, we got an early start to our morning when a certain someone forgot to adjust their clock to Central Time. I don't want to name any names but her first name rhymes with Schmeagan. The early start (5:15) quickly became a corn-filled detour through the very long state of Illinois. Outside of Chicago, there really doesn't seem to be much. However, we did come across a little town in particular that we had to go out of our way for; maybe you've heard of it--Sandwich. Yes, that's right folks, we found Sandwich, Illinois!!



This corn-filled corntown makes OUR Sandwich look like a booming metropolis. We sought out the high school (yes, Sandwich High School) and all other things 'Sandwich', and I even took it upon myself to talk to a few Sandwich, Illinois residents..considering I could use the always applicable opening line off "Oh, so you're from Sandwich too?" This conversation I had with two men at the local BP gas station was infuriating. They had an entire conversation with me, didn't recall any of it two seconds later, and continued to carry on with what they thought the conversation was..sound familiar? You're all sitting there nodding your heads saying "Yea, you're that person!", aren't ya? Well I fully admit it now. I apologize to ALL of you who have had to endure this very same process with me and my selective listening skills. I will be making an effort from here on out to be an active listening. Startinggggg now!

Seriously though, here's an excerpt from my conversation:
"Good morning, d you two live here in Sandwich?"
"Why yes we do, and where are you from?"
"I'm actually from Sandwich, Massachusetts! We saw Sandwich, Illinois, and figured we'd stop as we're on our way to deliver a car to San Diego."
"You ever heard of Mason City, Iowa?"
"Um, no sir I haven't"
"Well, there's a Mason City, Illinois too. That's where I'm from. So you're from Chicago? That's your car you're driving?"
"Uhm, no we were in Chicago last night, and we're getting this car out to San Diego at the end of the week"
"So, what'll ya do when you get to San Francisco?" Just fly home"
...
(*Now I realize how almost every conversation with off you has ever gone. Again, I'm sorry)

This detour to rural Sandwich ended up adding about two hours on to our trip total for the day. Sure, we didn't want to add two hours for Niagara Falls or the Cubs game, but Sandwich, Illinois..I mean, we had to!

OK, so about twenty minutes outside of Sandwich and continuing on our way through all of Illinois, Meagan an I realized we had corn around us. Everywhere. On both sides. For as long as we could see. As long as we drove through Illinois on our way to St. Louis (yes, all five hours of it). That much corn can make two people go a little stir crazy which is why we found it highly entertaining to play "Corn" for an hour and a half. What's "Corn"? Good question, but I want to give you fair warning that we considered this an awesomely pathetic yet terrifically entertaining point on our trip. After we started naming anything we saw outside of the car window, we quickly began substituting the word 'corn' for anything and everything-road signs, billboards, movie quotes, dialogues, song lyrics and titles ("Corn is a good thing. Maybe the best of thing. And no good thing ever dies,"..."Corn" by Natalie Imbruglia, "Semi-Farmed Kind of Life" by ThirdCornBlind, "The Only Living Corn in New York" by Simon and Cornfunkel, and "Cornafornication" by the Red Hot Corn Peppers.") Meagan has an entirely new lyrical version of "Clocks" by Coldplay (aka 'Cornplay') and also "Cornfield" by Jordin Sparks. Pretty much any time we could use the word we would throw it in there. Again...awesomely pathetic or terrifically entertaining. Hey, it occupied our time for an hour and a half, brought us all the way to St. Louis, and got us the hell out of Illinois. Judge us if you want, but 'Corn' saved us from speeding tickets (err) and distractions (like baby cows...). However, all of this corn allowed us to capture the best picture of the trip thus far (with a little help from the self-timer):



Driving through St. Louis was enough for us; driving over the Mississippi to see the Gateway Arch was all we needed from that city. With the Gateway to the West behind us and six hours still ahead, we entered Missouri. Ohhhh Missouri, I loathe you. Your straight highways, stupid cornfields (return of "Corn"), and extreme heat was so comfortable. It got to a point when "Corn" became unfun (hard to believe, I know) that I'd try to see how long I could go without A/C in the car..two minutes got me 1000 imaginary bonus points, anything after that was just impressive Gimme a break--Meg was napping..and I noticed her to shift uncomfortable whenever the A/C was off...doo doo dooo). Drive, drive, drive and three hours later we're in Kansas!

Meagan and I both agree that Kansas has been our favorite state to drive through so far. Firstly, the lack of corn is magnificent. but, the real reason for the greatness is because of all the wide open and flat land--it's gorgeous. It all just goes forever into every direction, and we couldn't wait to see the sunset. Unfortunately, the clouds had different plans. Boo.

After grabbing a great dinner at a local place in Manhattan (the Little Apple), we headed over to Rick and Ashlyn's home. Ashlyn is one of my oldest college friends, and it was the first times I had the chance to see her since I left Athens last April. Her and her husband had a beautiful baby boy, Fischer, just last month! He's SO little, but unbelievably adorable. It's always wonderful seeing great friends, no matter the time between the visits because you always seem to pick right up where you left off. Kansas just got extra bonus points.



Speaking of old friends (and new friends), we're got three good ones waiting on us in Denver. I'm signing off now, and passing off the writing to Meagan for the fun-filled day in Denver that will show up here sometime tomorrow.

Good night!

1 comment: